Wednesday 25 May 2011

Finishing the Bob Graham Round

Today i'm back in Scotland, getting ready to start the Ramsay Round.
Yesterday, I tackled both legs 3 and 4 of my Bob Graham Round. I got up at 5am and started at 6am.

Leg 3 was from Threlkeld to Dunmail Raise (14 miles and 1800m). The day started drizzly and windy (maybe gusting 50mph), which was quite a stuggle on to of Clough Head. The rolling Dodds followed:


Here the terrain was runnable and so I was able to put some miles away quickly. Gradually the showers got more wintry until I was battered with painful hail as I approached Helvellyn. Ouch!
Unimpressed!
Fortunately, the wind on Helvellyn wasn't was bad as i'd feared it might be and there was no real risk of being blown over the cliff and down Striding Edge!!

I pressed on until I was running down the steep descent off Seat Sandal and could see my parents' car in the layby. The leg took a total of 4 hours and 20 minutes, which was quicker than I had expected and bought me some valuable time.

After a change of wet clothes and some refreshment, I started the next leg at 10:50am. The cloud was above the tops now and I was hoping for a drop in the wind and rain. Actually, the sun did come out, while I was on High Raise, affording me some great views but it was still incredibly windy. The day continued in this same fashion all day, with hail showers blowing in thick white billows on the wind, alternating with bright spells.

A clear view of Pike of Stickle from Rosset Pike
Once I'd reached Bowfell, I felt I was on the home straight and this helped my motivation....

Still smiling on Ill Crag! Three summits to go...
Gradually I started to feel quite cold. By now I was wet through and could see my breath on the air it was so cold. I just couldn't warm up! So after a few photos on Scafell Pike, I decided to go round Broad Stand and on to the summit of Scafell, rather than risking the solo in the wet and while I was feeling tired.

Summit of Scafell. Last peak on my Bob Graham Round!
By the end, my joints were aching and I felt TOTALLY done-in!!! Nevertheless, I finished the final leg (16 miles and 1980m) at Wasdale at 7:00pm (having taken 8hrs 10 mins). 

Typically, the weather was lovely as I descended into the valley - beautiful.

Descending from Scafell.
In the background are the hills of Day 1 of my BGR. 


No comments:

Post a Comment